Information Woods for OASL
Links to resources from the Ranger Librarian poster session.
Ranger Librarian informational brochure part 1
Ranger Librarian informational brochure part 2
Teacher Ranger Teacher Brochure from NPS
A Park Mad Lib
Canyon Wonderment brief article published in the OASL Interchange
all documents in pdf
PowerPoint Presentation submitted October 1, 2011 at the Fall Conference of the Oregon Council for Teachers of English
MEDIA LINKS: Use the following as writing prompts in your classroom,
1. Popular Culture and Environmental Justice
2. Sign up for a Public Radio Exchange (PRX) account to get access to The Environment Report. Ads Use Nature to Sell SUVs.
3. Honda Civic Hybrid commercial
4. Ecomagination from GE: website
Keep American Beautiful Campaign
Discuss PSAs (public service announcements)
6. Guide for the Use of Environmental Marketing Campaigns, from the Federal Trade Commission. Cross-curricular connection to Marketing & Economics classes.
7. Other Popular Culture images and ideas to discuss: Smokey the Bear, the recycling logo, popular films: Erin Brockovich (2000), The China Syndrome (1979), A Civil Action (1999)
Best for AP Students
1. Representations of Nature in Popular Culture
2. Crude Awakening
A You Tube montage of Jane Fulton Alt's photo essay, set to Hurt, by Johnny Cash.
3. Jane Fulton Alt : See Burn, Crude Awakening, Katrina, and Visitations
4. Read Apologia, by Barry Lopez. A small but powerful essay on roadkill.
Resources for Teachers
Action for Nature Great list of links.
Nature Study Gem resources hidden among the advertising.
Teacher Ranger Teacher Program, hosted by the National Park Service.
Teaching Writing Through Science. Order Books and Supplies.
Introduction to the Nature Journal
Keeping a Nature Journal. Includes template
Nature Journaling Blog
For Primary Grades
lesson on nature journals
USFWS lesson and resources
Ideas for home school
"I have advocated for 30 years that, in order to preserve our democracy and protect ourselves against demagogues,we should have courses in schools on how to watch TV, how to read newspapers, how to analyze a speech – how to understand the limitations of