MEDIA LINKS: Use the following as writing prompts in your classroom,
1. Popular Culture and Environmental Justice
2. Sign up for a Public Radio Exchange (PRX) account to get access to The Environment Report. Ads Use Nature to Sell SUVs.
3. Honda Civic Hybrid commercial
4. Ecomagination from GE: website
Keep American Beautiful Campaign
Discuss PSAs (public service announcements)
6. Guide for the Use of Environmental Marketing Campaigns, from the Federal Trade Commission. Cross-curricular connection to Marketing & Economics classes.
7. Other Popular Culture images and ideas to discuss: Smokey the Bear, the recycling logo, popular films: Erin Brockovich (2000), The China Syndrome (1979), A Civil Action (1999)
Best for AP Students
1. Representations of Nature in Popular Culture
2. Crude Awakening
A You Tube montage of Jane Fulton Alt's photo essay, set to Hurt, by Johnny Cash.
3. Jane Fulton Alt : See Burn, Crude Awakening, Katrina, and Visitations
4. Read Apologia, by Barry Lopez. A small but powerful essay on roadkill.
Resources for Teachers
Action for Nature Great list of links.
Nature Study Gem resources hidden among the advertising.
Teacher Ranger Teacher Program, hosted by the National Park Service.
"I have advocated for 30 years that, in order to preserve our democracy and protect ourselves against demagogues,we should have courses in schools on how to watch TV, how to read newspapers, how to analyze a speech – how to understand the limitations of